Friday, May 7, 2010

BLOGFail

So, I'm declaring a blogfail on my part, I got totally out of it.

It could have been because I didn't feel like a lot was happening on the RAGBRAI, Bikes, Training front... or it could have been just laziness (I vote the latter of options.) BUT as luck would have it, I'm back and am going to try to rededicate myself to this blog because really tons has happened!

1. FINALLY got a bike. Its a Diamondback Flatbar Road bike. Basically a hybrid. I really love it, my only complaint, its navy blue. Why do you ask is that a complaint? Oh, because as Lex put it in her blog, I wanted a "girlier" bike. Luckily for me I happen to know a pretty talented Auto-body mechanic AKA my Father, who could probably "girlify" (that is an Abbie original word) if I want it. So who knows maybe on RAGBRAI you'll see a completely original bike in navy blue with hot pink stripes.

2. We were chosen in the RAGBRAI Lottery! I know I know, this is a bit redundant from Lex's earlier blog, but um, deal with it. Oh and I don't think my words were that I had an "uh oh" moment, I think it was more like an "oh shit" moment. The "oh shit" being that we are actually doing this and I haven't even gotten on a bike since probably my sophomore year of college. TIME TO POWER TRAIN.

3. So I started training, well kind of. More like I started at least riding my bike. What I discovered is that when people use the phrase "it's just like riding a bike" in reference to doing something you haven't done in awhile, starting riding again really is "just like riding a bike." Except, that I may be a little wobbly because I'm still getting used to road tires, and I have to learn what gears to be in when, etc. Also, I've never ridden in a busy city before (or any city really for that matter.) Surprisingly, that isn't really so bad, the hurdle I have to overcome most right now is my left wrist. I was foolish to think when the doctor gave me the "all clear" for all activities and said I'd healed well from my little stumble on the ice last January that it wouldn't bother me at all. I was wrong, it really bothers me, like a lot, Andrea and I rode just 7 miles the other day and I had to call it after that because my arm wasn't allowing more. I'm not going to use it as a deterrent, hopefully with enough training and adjustments I can figure out a way to ride semi-comfortably. I'm going to try a wrist brace, and adjusting my handlebars, if neither of those work I'll try to consult some biking experts and see if they've had a similar experience and what they did. Speaking of any experts out there with suggestions??

But what I have learned is that I really really enjoy biking, a lot. Outside of the arm (and slight butt) pain, its been a great experience already. Monday we were able to ride to drop off our rent checks, and get some groceries, all of which took a lot less time then when we walk. Tuesday, Andrea and I rode to the lake, and it was gorgeous riding with the lake on one side of us and the skyline on the other. It was really relaxing after a couple of stressful days, I can't wait to ride a lot more. Eventually I'd like to bike to work... if I ever get used to the city traffic!

I'm going home this weekend, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY MOM! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MOM AND DAD! After that though I will upload some pictures of my bike and the assembly process and the first ride. Shout out to Alexis and Mike for helping, or basically doing it for me!

OH the most exciting news of all, the SoPo Spinners are now roommates! Andrea moved in last week! Love it!

~Abbie

No comments:

Post a Comment