Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How to train for RAGBRAI without really trying...

Ok, so that title is clearly misleading, training for RAGRBAI is going to be intense, hard, trying, exciting, fun, and a lot of other adjectives I don't care to continue to list.

What is RAGBRAI you ask? Well, I doubt you are unsure of what it is if your reading this blog but I will fill you in none the less...

According to www.ragbrai.com: it is an annual seven-day bicycle ride across the state. Heading into its 38th year, RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest bicycle touring event in the world.

(Largest in the world?! Yikes! I've got a lot of training to do...)

What does RAGBRAI stand for? Register's (as in Des Moines Register) Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa.

So now that your caught up on exactly what RAGBRAI is, your probably wondering why am I writing a blog about it. I decided to start a blog about training and doing RAGBRAI for a few reasons. I hope for it to be funny, interesting, and motivational for me.... though it will likely be none of the 3, haha. Also because this is definitely one of the biggest things I've ever taken on, I mean, riding a bike an average of 63 miles a day for 7 DAYS! This is going to take work... and commitment... and perhaps a little (or a lot) of insanity. So my hope for this is it keeps me on course with my training and goals and somehow, in the end I actually go through with and survive this.

I also hope you find this from time to time entertaining..

OH and I'm sharing the reigns on this blog with my teammates and friends on the journey Alexis and Andrea, so they will hopefully be sharing their thoughts and goals and whatever else from time to time as well.

Were (or at least I am) going to need our friends and families support in this, so we hope to hear from the peanut gallery from time to time with any words of wisdom, encouraging thoughts, or funny quips.

Thanks everyone! :)

Abbie

PS, if you'd please ignore spelling and grammatical errors, I'm not even going to pretend I'm an English major, plus I'm currently typing much slower and with less accuracy thanks to a broken arm (iust another challenge in training.)

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to read your journey =]! Thank you for sharing with me!

    I used to be on team AAA...=]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up and I might see ya there ;) I'm going (first time) with the Pella, IA Cycling Club. My name is Val and I have a Blue Trek road bike, I'll be wearing a white helmet and most days a yellow Pella jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your training. This will be my dad's 5th RAGBRAI and my sisters and my first.
    Not certain how I am going to get in shape for this event - but my goal is to have fun for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This іs а grеat tіρ pаrticularlу to thоse neω to the blogosρhere.
    Ѕimple but ѵery acсuгаte info… Appreciatе
    your sharing this one. A must reаd аrtiсle!


    Have a loοk at my blog ρost: gardening

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool! Sοme extremelу valid points! I aρрreciate you
    wгiting thiѕ write-up and thе rеst
    of the wеbsite iѕ аlso very gooԁ.


    Reνiew my blog post :: core workouts for men

    ReplyDelete