Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Training day 1

I think it actually was more of a see where I am and lets see how far I have to go. What I learned is I have LONG way to go. I was hoping to bike 10 miles which isn't much when you consider just how many miles are involved, I made it 8, and then I speed walked a couple miles on the treadmill. I think I could have gone farther but my wrist was hurting. That probably doesn't make much sense when sitting on a stationary bike but its crazy any motion jars your wrist some and when its broken any motion hurts. But I believe it is getting better, its just a matter of time, I'm not going to let it deter me. I also kept getting a charlie horse in my left calf, I think Grandpa would tell me to eat more bananas... or drink more milk? I'm not sure but I'll continue to work on that. Even with a slow first day I'm still optimistic that I can do this! (Yes I know its only day 2.)

Something thats really been weighing on me is how I can afford to do RAGBRAI. Riding RAGBRAI isn't cheap when you consider, um, I still don't even own a bike. Plus the fee's for riding, bike clothes (padded bike shorts!), transportation, bike equipment, etc, you get the point. But I have a plan for this, for one, I'm not going to spend the money I make babysitting, that all gets set aside into the "bike" fun. I'm also going to curb the eating out and try to cut it back to 1-2 nights a week, this will probably also help the fact that I need to lose some weight and get into much better shape for this thing! Third, I'm only going to drink "out" once a week, this will have much the same benefits of the not eating out, though not drinking out doesn't mean I can't drink at home or at friends places :). Finally, trying to limit cabbing it to once a week, because that adds up! I put this all out there so HOPEFULLY you all will hold me to it ;).


As far as training goes, I really don't have a specific plan yet. Right now all I plan to do is strengthen my legs and arms, keep increasing the miles I ride, and adding difficulty along the way. This will all be easier when its warm outside and I actually own a bike.

I found this article about RAGBRAI online, I think some of it may be outdated but I think it has some good tips from veteran riders: http://www.wadenelson.com/ragbrai.html

Any other tips any of you have feel free to share!

-Abbie

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you girls!! Obviously, I don't know jack about training, but I do have guest passes to a gym with spinning. That might help get you into the feel of biking- ie prepare you for how bad your ass will hurt.

    Keep writing-at least one person is reading :)

    ReplyDelete