Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Beginning

RAGBRAI… I’ve wanted to do this for awhile now. My Dad used to ride every year when I was younger and I always thought that I would ride it once I got older. Well I’m older.

Let’s just say my track record with physical fitness has been less than stellar. Not to say I’m inactive, or that I don’t try… more like I’m easily distracted and excuses for sidetracking a habit forming exercise schedule are plentiful. Though I confidently declared at New Years that 2010 would “be the year” I was extremely relieved that I would not be going alone. Abbie and Andrea are keeping me motivated with their enthusiasm and this means the likely hood of success has tripled!

There is so much to do to get started!

1.Register (The number of bikers are limited on RAGBRAI by a lottery system; we will register as a group so our chances of getting in are increased).
2.Get a bike! Scratch that, research more bikes then get a bike.
3.Train (I’m not sure how to form a routine yet).
4.Learn how to fix a flat tire.
5.Figure out transportation (Getting to western Iowa).
6.Ummm….. I’m sure there are a ton of things I haven’t even thought of!

We are meeting tomorrow night to discuss some of these details. This is our third attempt at meeting, the last two times the only thing we accomplished was an empty bottle of wine.

- Alexis

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to post a comment again. I wanted to remind you that your Mom went on RAGBRAI 3 years, and she rode most of it. (She isn't a super biker like your Dad). Okay so this is your Mom. My training schedule was to nap while Dad trained. I would recommend a little training though.
    It never seemed that hard to ride 70 miles or so a day. You just get on the bike and go!

    ReplyDelete