Monday, February 22, 2010

Unconventional Training

We finally recovered! It’s been a few days since our last blog due to recovery time from our “meeting” last Thursday to discuss RAGBRAI preparations. No no no… there was no wine involved which in retrospect probably would have been a more speedy recovery. We decided to grab dinner and talk about RAGBRAI since my obsession with watching the winter Olympics would have prevented me to pay attention had we met at home. I am going to credit this incident to the fact we are getting so pumped about the challenge of RAGBRAI, we went to an all you can eat sushi restaurant. Great deal! Bad decisions. It would have been fine had we stuck to our original plan of ordering two rolls each, but as Abbie confidently listed what she wanted the judging eyes of the waitress bore into her and we all started to question our choices. “Oh I can eat two with no problem,” states the petite waitress.

How big are these rolls? Dizzy with hunger and after waiting 40 minutes to sit down our imaginations leapt from one misguided conclusion to the next. So, to be safe we each order three rolls.

But wait! There’s a catch with all you can eat sushi! Something fishy with the policy! Ahem… sorry, anyway if you don’t finish EVERY ROLL, then you pay for the roll on top of the money you’ve paid to go through this torture, which now seems like an exorbitant amount. Just that afternoon I had begun to outline a budget for RAGBRAI and the guilt of spending more money just because I couldn’t finish the challenge before me weighed me down more than all the food in my stomach.
So we each took as big of a breath as we could, considering we would have happily passed out right there at the table from a food coma, and finished…every…single… roll!

Well I am going to claim that this experience was part of training… physically yes (because we plan on eating a LOT of pie) but more mentally. Though once again we did not get things done as planned, I’m extremely proud (and since it’s been a few days I can now think about it) that we finished that sushi.
RAGBRAI HERE WE COME!



- Alexis

2 comments:

  1. Well I guess that is one way to train! Hmmmm......I thought of one good piece of advice while you are on RAGBRAI. I didn't discover this until the 2nd year but it saved so much time! The best bathrooms are the corn fields!!!!! I know, it sounds gross, but really it works so slick!!!!! Don't forget, you'll thank me later!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for nice and useful post I am very impressed this blog


    http://pitfitness.net/

    ReplyDelete